Hey friends, just wanted to let you know about an interesting
development here at CoCo. We've brought on a local, but nationally
recognized tech librarian, as our (and possibly the first-ever)
Coworking Librarian. Meg Knodl will be helping members not only with
biz research, but with developing our social and educational
programming.

I'm copying the body of our blog post to give you context. Would love
to hear your thoughts. Meg will be blogging about this great
experiment. As soon as I know the location (our site? our Posterous?
Meg's blog?), I'll let you know so you can follow along...

Cheers,
Don

+++

Full post here: http://cocomsp.com/2011/06/meet-meg-our-new-coworking-librarian/

Earlier this year marketing guru Seth Godin created a bit of a stir
with his post about the future of libraries. This line in particular
caught a lot of peoples’ attention:

The next library is a place, still. A place where people come together
to do co-working and coordinate and invent projects worth working on
together. Aided by a librarian who understands the Mesh, a librarian
who can bring domain knowledge and people knowledge and access to
information to bear.

Across town, Meg Knodl, a Senior Librarian in Communications and
Community Engagement at Hennepin County Library, also noticed Godin’s
post.

A quick aside: you may know Meg from UnSummit or Social Media
Breakfast. What you may not know (and what Meg is too modest to tell
you) is that she’s kind of a rockstar in the world of library science.
In fact, as I write this, she’s heading to New Orleans to be
recognized by the Library Journal as a 2011 Mover and Shaker.

Last month, Meg approached us with a brilliant idea: could she try to
create a coworking librarian position at CoCo?

There was only one possible answer: “How soon can you start?”

So, please join us in welcoming Meg Knodl as the world’s first
Coworking Librarian (as far as we know!). She will be helping us to
develop a philosophy and approach toward programming, which is the
professional word for all the social, cultural and educational events
and activities that support our coworking community.

Meg will be coworking at both the St. Paul and Minneapolis locations
on Wednesdays. (The other days of the week, she’ll still be at
Hennepin County Library). If you have ideas about programs you’d like
to participate in, attend or offer, please contact Meg at
megkn...@gmail.com. Of course, Meg will also available for research
and resource questions.