We've got the "standard" Bunn 2-burner coffee maker like this model:

http://www.amazon.com/Bunn-2-Burner-Coffee-Maker/dp/B004SIOYHU

We filter our cold water line at the sink, which helps with the flavor, along
with buying good coffee. We stock Community Coffee's dark roast and Duncan
Donuts' coffee. We'll also buy coffee, when possible, from local roasters.

Honestly, I think that institutional burnt flavor comes from bad water, cheap
coffee and dirty decanters. (I kinda' got used to it, being former military).

Cheers!

Pat