David,

You can't use the general rule of 10% of your income being in rental
income since this is your greatest expenses compared to most
businesses where employees are their biggest expenses (excluding
certain special manufacturers). You have to ask yourself a few
questions when developing the business plan and determining the final
price.

Do you plan on coworking suport yourself or any full-time staff
member?
Do you want this to be a profit venture?
What is the market rate for coworking in your area and what is the
market rate for space in the area your looking into?

If you plan on having the space sustain a FT staffer then the size of
the space and lease both need to be carefully considered. With a FT
staff member the space needs to be larger, at least 2200 sq. ft., and
a favorable rate not exceeded $15 sq. ft. (this will change based on
cities). Since most expenses are fixed the larger the space the larger
the possibility of profit. This is mostly because you need to have a
certain degree of shared space for hallways, bathrooms, kitchen,
lounge area no matter the coworking space size. Once those are covered
then the work spaces are considered and you can set the number of
desks.For a point of reference I have 23 places for people to work at
and I'm using around 2300 sq. ft. However, I'm adding 15 more work
spots soon because I have a large empty room I'm looking to grow into.
I won't need to anymore lounge space, etc. because I have enough
already.

Location is key for lease rates and marketability.
Creative Density is located in downtown Denver but I'm 9 blocks from
the city center and the high rises. My rent is 1/3 cheaper because of
it and I'm in a neighborhood that many coworkers are at. I did a
survey for people to vote on which neighborhood in Denver they would a
new coworking facility in. If I was just a 10 minute walk away with a
$18/sq ft lease I don't think I could  be a sustainable business while
supporting a staff member without taking on much greater risks.

I hope this helps.

Craig
@CreativeDensity