Unfortunately we don't have a resident artist (note to self: recruit one),
but we have had a gallery, a couple of individual artists, and teens from a
local teen center display art in our space. The most interesting art by far
was by the teenagers - very creative and less constrained than the art from
the pros. The artists and gallery had showings open to the public in our
space, which of course was a good marketing opportunity for us.

One of our members is organizing art from members to display. The member
art will be art actually created by the member, or art members have at home
that they bring in.

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 9:08 AM, rachel young <rac...@camaraderie.ca> wrote:

> I curate the art in our space (http://camaraderie.ca/community/art if
> anyone wants to see), and I absolutely agree that having art on the walls
> help to make the space more inviting (our space is stark white and black
> with very few splashes of colour otherwise), and specifically changing the
> art on the walls occasionally helps to keep the space fluid. We allow the
> artists to display their art, which we encourage all different textiles and
> materials and shapes and colour, as well as offer them an exhibit opening
> party, tags on the walls with a price (optional) and their contact info,
>
> And I love the idea of something like an artist in residence, one that
> happens organically.
>
> Thanks for this post. It reminded me that I should start looking for
> another artist to display their work.
>
> Sean, you do beautiful work, and the folks at Indy Hall are lucky to have
> you with them. Were you already looking for atypical studio space to work
> from and then found Indy Hall?  And if so, what was the criteria you had in
> mind for a space to work?
> r.
>
> *____________________
> rachel young
> *rac...@camaraderie.ca
>
> *Find us in person:*
> Camaraderie
> 102 Adelaide St E 2nd Floor
> Toronto, ON  M5C 1K9
> (647) 861-4350
>

> On 19 January 2012 16:12, Alex Hillman <dangerouslyawes...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> A number of people have asked me about our "interior design" at Indy
>> Hall. We've always tried to avoid the "stale white walls" approach by
>> including textures like brick and exposed rafters/ventilation, but it's
>> really been in the last 2 years that Sean Martorana has stepped up our game
>> past inspirational posters thumbtacked to the walls.
>>
>> Sean's brother is one of our earliest community members, and so we knew
>> Sean as part of the Indy Hall family. When he started bringing his art into
>> our space, the reaction was clearly one that we wanted to continue. Sean
>> has since taken on a somewhat informal role as our "art director", both
>> curating art into the space as well as taking the lead on other
>> design-related projects around Indy Hall.
>>
>> "This was the beginning of bringing the philosophy of art and interior
>>> design to any space having a direct positive effect on the people that
>>> occupy it. It can inspire people and make them happier and more productive
>>> daily." - Sean
>>

>> It's been a mutually beneficial process. Sean's work has brought a feel
>> to the space that we couldn't have achieved alone, and it's not static
>> either - it's ever changing and exciting to members. They consider him an
>> art resource. They also consider his work a form of inspiration, not only
>> having it around, but being around WHILE he's making the art. Non-artists
>> being around artists creating work is a highly inspirational experience,
> [...]

twb
member, Workantile Exchange <http://workantileexchange.com/>