The other thing is that coworking directories assume the people know what
they're looking for. In the case of coworking, they only thing they know to
look for is what they've seen before. This leaves a HUGE opportunity for
coworking spaces to differentiate, but I've yet to see a directory that
facilitates that. The sortable categories are things that all have their own
weaknesses:
"Vibe" - which is more of a made up marketing concept than the attitude it's
meant to portray
Location - which is mentally limiting for people who don't know how far they'd
be willing to commute to be part of a great community.
Price - price is an important aspect, but when it's the primary sort field it
leads potential members to shop on price and it leads coworking spaces to
compete on price. This is good for nobody.

I'd love to see a tool go the way of a "tribe finder", and putting the
marketing tools of a coworking space in it's members hands rather than it's
owners hands. Our members are the #1 reason that people belong to our spaces,
why do they come second in most marketing and "way finding" material compared
to space, amenities, and price?

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia

On Monday, May 21, 2012 at 9:11 PM, Angel Kwiatkowski wrote:

> [...]
> Type in "x + my city" (in our case it's coworking  + city name)
> Browse results
> Visit those websites
> Take action if wanted
>
> THAT'S why I don't think space directories are useful for Cohere + pretty
> much everything Susan said :)
>
> Angel
>
> On Monday, May 21, 2012 3:49:35 PM UTC-6, Susan Evans wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > The recent conversation going on about directories
> > (https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups#!topic/coworking/iF4TSNn7WqM)
> >  has inspired me to chime in. There is a lot spinning around in my mind
> > right now, so hopefully I'm able to be clear enough (I have a nasty cold
> > today though, so bear with me):
> >
> > A critical conversation has been missing when talking about all the various
> > commercial coworking directories: What is the value of a directory for a
> > coworking community? So far, the primary value I've seen discussed for what
> > a coworking space gets out of being listed is increased traffic, either to
> > their website or to their space itself. Is that enough? In order to build a
> > long-lasting coworking space, we've always needed more than to simply get
> > more traffic to our space; we need to continue to attract long-term,
> > participating members of our community. We notice this now especially as we
> > are pushing membership capacity at Office Nomads - the directory efforts to
> > simply list our space seem particularly unnecessary, and at worst, counter
> > to what we're actually working to do. If we are all working so hard to
> > develop platforms for thriving coworking communities around the world, I am
> > not convinced that utilizing commercial coworking directories help us to do
> > that work.
> >
> > In order to meet our community needs, as well as to meet our own needs as a
> > coworking space, Office Nomads is currently putting our efforts into the
> > following areas:
> >
> > As always, staying focused on our local coworking community. Working
> > together is way more interesting, fun, and rewarding than creating
> > artificial competition where there is none. We've been working hard ever
> > since we got started to build connections between our coworking space and
> > others in Seattle through Coworking Seattle (http://coworkingseattle.org/),
> > then the Seattle Collaborative Space Alliance
> > (http://www.collaborativespaces.org/). Working together and helping one
> > another talk about coworking locally benefits us all, and demonstrates our
> > desire to do things differently
> > (http://www.shareable.net/blog/what-happens-when-coworking-spaces-stop-competing).
> >  It is not without its challenges, and is definitely harder than just
> > inputting your information into a website, but it is incredibly rewarding.
> > And it turns out, it helps us build the best coworking communities we can:
> > by helping individuals find the space that is right for them, each
> > coworking community benefits. In addition
, we will continue to be good neighbors in Capitol Hill, and to participate and
collaborate as much as possible within our neighborhood. A significant portion
of our members come from our neighborhood and from neighborhoods nearby - we
reach them best when we are contributing members of our local community.

> > Encouraging and fostering coworking spaces worldwide to connect and
> > collaborate for the benefit of all. Being a part of and contributing to the
> > global coworking conversation is important not only because of the bonds it
> > builds between our space and other spaces worldwide, but because it enables
> > shared learning between spaces, enhancing the development and creation of
> > each of our spaces independently. One key factor that I believe in
> > personally is that these bonds and learning experiences are best built when
> > they are neutral/non-commercial, and for the benefit of all. This is one of
> > the many reasons I am excited about the revamp of the Coworking Wiki
> > (http://www.opencoworking.org/coworkingwiki/), and why I think it's
> > important that our space continues to contribute content to the global
> > coworking community (through the Google Group, the Coworking Blog, etc.). I
> > believe that by creating and maintaing a place where coworking space
> > operators can connect, share, and support one anothe
r, we get much more bang for our buck. In fact, we get out of it usually about
the same as what we put into it. This means I'm encouraged to participate more
as opposed to auto-fill-and-forget (which is what usually happens after I list
myself in a commerical directory).