"This might be one of the last opportunities..."

Get that idea out of your head. There is *always* going to be another
opportunity, another space.

I know it doesn't feel that way now, but from what it sounds like you're likely
to kill or cripple yourself by opening a space that you know isn't going to be
sustainable because you feel that this is your "last chance".

Take a big step back, and turn to your community for ideas instead of waiting
for creativity to magically solve this problem. One thing that strikes me is
that your full time usage of 50% might need to change (decrease) to allow for
more flex desks, or your model may need to be adjusted to make sure that flex
revenue can be your financial anchor. It's counterintuitive in a way, but
remember that a full time member is usually safer but less revenue-per-period
when your shrink the period down to a day.

Also, don't forget to think beyond desks. A significant portion of our revenue
comes from our basic membership which is a "community membership" that has a
drop-in day per month and additional days are a-la carte. Many of those members
never or rarely use the desks, but it's known revenue either way. Do what you
can to think about ways to decouple revenue from sq feet. It will help your
community efforts as well as lift some strain off your business. The key, of
course, is to develop this model based on YOUR community and how it interacts,
not how ours works, I just wanted to remind you of some key elements that've
helped us grow beyond our initial first space that was smaller than the one
your were considering.

how your community actually interacts for ideas on how you can *optimize for
something other than sq feet*.

-Alex

/ah
indyhall.org