Small communities are GREAT, and they can become the seeds for bigger
communities. I think this is an excellent approach.

You're worried about things that don't actually exist.

Focus on making it a great place to be now, and more importantly, a great group
of people to be around. Focus on participation as one of the elements of
joining the community, and encourage people not to treat it as a place to work
but a place to contribute to making it better.

Make it your job to help them contribute rather than do things for them, and
the time commitment problems start to fade. Involve them, include them, even in
the little stuff.

"When people are financially invested, they want a return. When people are
emotionally invested, they want to contribute." - Simon Sineck

You can worry about what it might become "if things go well" when things go
well. You should be so lucky. :)

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia