Hello Anca,

Anca | Tech Liminal wrote:
Miles,

I've been involved in, or managed, projects with a variety of scopes (software, comedy shows, business projects, marketing, etc) for many many years. So, conceptually, I fall
into the category of people who care.

Thank you very much for your comments! If I might ask, what else do you read (lists, blogs, etc.) that might be relevant?

I like the idea of what you've proposed, but you made me work really hard to get at what it is.

The thing that will make me click on your link needs to be much more succinct, and either talk about the pain I'm feeling or the benefits I'm going to get from supporting your projects.

Take a look at how some of the leading project management tools describe what they do, such as Basecamp, Podio, Mavenlink, etc. Why is your tool more compelling than theirs?

That's a great suggestion!

What I'm going for is simple + distributed + open.

The short form is that I've yet to see the combination of simple (e.g, spreadsheets) and distributed (e.g., Git). These days, everybody seems to be gravitating toward Google Spreadsheets as a way to share action items; I'm shooting for something more like:
- linked spreadsheets where the links actually work across the net
- running in a browser, linked by open, asynchronous protocols (no software to install, no vendor lock-in, updates flow when connected)

To an extent, my motivation comes from sending out action item lists in an email, only to be inundated by a huge follow-up thread - questions and answers, updates, comments, ..., each in its own message. I don't like going to a central wiki or Google Doc - what I want is for replies to the first email to be automagically applied - sort of like sending out a wiki page by email, saving it on my desktop, and then anytime anybody updates their local copy, every copy gets updated.

How does this work for you as a concept and message?

And thanks for the rest of this:

Just to be clear, the pain I'm feeling when dealing w/ project management is that it's hard to get to get people to use the project management tools that i've put in place because they cater too much to a technical audience (trac, git), or require too much customization for simple projects (Podio) or are too simplistic to let me do all PM tasks in one place (Basecamp).

The technical problem of keeping tasks synched across the network is among the least of my worries, actually. My problem is finding a tool that's simple enough yet complete
enough to work for a technical and non-technical audience.

Here are some suggestions for your pitch:
- identify a particular person that has a particular problem (e.g. your customer demographic) You might need to write a different invitation email based on whether you're sending it
  to theater producers or web designers
- put your link at the top of your pitch, not only at the bottom of paragraphs of justification. - find a Twitter-length description of your tool. Otherwise, you make it too hard for people
to share it.
- Crete an executive summary (no more than one paragraph) that leaves me wanting more

Kickstarter and Indiegogo are really great tools for honing your marketing pitch, and they provide some brutally honest feedback about its effectiveness. It may take you a couple
of iterations to get to where you want to be with this project.

Good luck!

Anca.