Jellys are awesome for introducing people to coworking but, as Jon suggests,
the conversion rate from free->paid coworking is a bit of a challenge,
ESPECIALLY when there's not really a difference between the two experiences.

When coworking from your space is free one day and paid the next and there's
not a difference, people's ability to value the paid version goes down
because…well…it was just free the other day.

Running a Jelly off-site, however, is an awesome hook. Happy hours are great
for the same reason.

Another reason doing it off-site is to alleviate the feeling that you're
hosting it in your space to sell them on membership. That's not to say you
should be dishonest and pretend that's not your motive, but by hosting the
event in "neutral territory," you get to build deeper relationships than when
they walk in and view you as the owner/proprietor.

I've long wanted to do a research project to see what provided better
conversion to paying member: hosting on-site events or hosting off-site events.
Anecdotal evidence says that even when the on-sites convert better to short
term members (and that's not always), off-sites tend to attract people around
who join and stay members, keeping churn lower.

One more thing on thing to remember is the interval that Jellies (or other
events) happen. MOST people don't see the coworking experience and instantly go
"ah! this is for me!". It usually takes 2-3 exposures to different versions of
the concept - perhaps a jelly, an educational event, and observing a normal
work day - before they see how it could work for them. Making sure that you're
providing this spectrum and interval for participation and on boarding helps
more than just doing a periodic Jelly that doesn't really have any rhythm to
it.

/ah
indyhall.org (http://indyhall.org)
coworking in philadelphia