I'd also argue that focusing on "startups" is a part of you problem, far
greater than things like cost.

Startups are definitively a transient, and I've noticed that people struggle to
differentiate from one startup-space to the next. Almost every space other than
Indy Hall in Philadelphia is focused on startups. Our community contains some
startups, but it's mostly "everything else".

There are really two prominent problem patterns for startups and coworking
spaces:
1) they can't grow fast enough so they go out of business and stop being members
2) they grow as fast as they wanted to and outgrow the coworking space

Retention is generally an edge case. The positive outcome of startups out
growing your space, of course, is them being able to provide support/mentorship
back to the community but that also depends on the type of community you've
developed. Most startup coworking spaces that I've studied are "communities of
interest", where the only real thing that bonds the group is their common
interest in startup topics. Communities of Practice, on the other hand, focus
on mutual advancement and knowledge sharing. That's the "rising tide" that you
always hear about.

There's a LOT of people who need and love coworking that don't identify with
"startups". Looking for those people can help keep your retention rates higher.

I'm working on a post about growth and retention patterns in coworking
businesses (including a lot of self-sabotage that I've noticed) so this was
well timed - I'll be sharing that soon :)

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia
building a community? http://masterclass.indyhall.org