 <http://ink1003.com/p/tp/3ee1a6d9cb9fb511/url> Follow us on Twitter

From: coworking@googlegroups.com [mailto:coworking@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 12:16 PM
To: coworking@googlegroups.com
Subject: [Coworking] A VC backed work space isn't something I fear.

This week the massive 30,000 sf.Galvanized Space opened in Denver with the
backing of several VCs in the Front Range. They have lightly hugged the term
coworking (they spell it as co-working), but are creating a space for the
startup scene in the downtown area. They have private offices, permanent
desks, and a hot desking area with classes and a focus on community - all
signs of a great coworking environment. I'm excited for the opening of
Galvanize, and I'm tired of people asking me if I'm worried. I am not.

Building awareness together. The more coworking spaces that open in a city
that is young to the coworking movement is great for Creative Density and
the other coworking spaces because it raises the awareness of coworking. We
will all carry the burden of making coworking a mainstream word versus me
and a few others doing all of the heavy lifting.

Different cultures. Creative Density does not focus on developers, writers,
or designers in a tight niche. Instead, we want awesome and friendly people
to fill the space with different ideas and perspectives. I believe that the
diversity of thought from freelancers, remote workers, and startups is one
of Creative Density's defining characteristics and greatest strength.
Galvanzie is focused on tech startups and creating a community similar to
the Boulder startup scene. The VCs want to create a vibrant community but
also want a front row seat for potential future investments. It is great for
people that fit into their vision, but not for the remote worker or the
happy freelance writer.

Local community and location. Creative Density is about 1.5 miles away from
any other coworking spaces and located about 10 blocks from the downtown
core. We are surrounded by a fantastic neighborhood with great lunch spots,
grocery stores, and cafes just around the corner in a mixed commercial and
residential area (the location was voted on by our community). Galvanzie is
on the other side of town and in a nice but different neighborhood. By
following the general 20 min travel rule, together the coworking spaces are
meeting the needs of more people that want to join a coworking community.

Several cities have already had a large VC backed collaborative spaces open
up with Chicago being one of the most recent ones I can think of. Current
coworking spaces should not fear but embrace the new members to their local
coworking community and it should just be a reminder to focus on what makes
your space special.

Craig Baute

Creative Density

Denver