At Workantile, members are welcome to host events in the space. We ask that
they host no more than one external (open to the public) event per month.
We also get 10% of the gate if there is an admission charge. The 10% does
not apply to material charges (for example, material for a 3D printing
workshop). We have had film screenings, Mars lander watch parties, 3D
printing workshops <http://davideriknelson.com/Stuff/PocketFactory2.pdf>, film
making <http://festifools.org/get-involved/make-luminary.html>, luminary
making workshops <http://festifools.org/get-involved/make-luminary.html>,
etc. We have never had a problem with these events.

We no longer rent the space to outside groups. The money we got did not
justify the hassle and time it took.

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 12:05 PM, Ashley Proctor <ash...@foundery.is> wrote:

> Stefanos
>
> At Foundery in Toronto we use our general coworking space for events &
> rentals on evenings and weekends.
> (Our designated desks and private offices are on another level in The
> Foundery Buildings, so that makes the coworking space easy to transform
> into event space).
> Our coworking members lock their things in their lockers out of the way,
> and the party begins!
>
> We've never had a problem with workshops, conferences, film screenings,
> networking events, or gallery receptions.
> They actually bring in new crowds, new members, and new event rentals.
>
> The large parties and music events (DJ competition, live bands, dance
> parties etc) tend to be the riskiest.
> We do generate a lot of revenue that way, but the events are also a lot of
> work.
> You have to remember all of the extra cleaning, moving furniture,
> insurance, security, bar staff, door staff, liquor licenses etc.
>
> With a large, intoxicated crowd, there is always potential for horror
> stories...
> We've had a noise complaint in the past and one of our trees got destroyed
> by skateboarders.
> At the event we held this past weekend, someone decided to use our fire
> extinguisher to settle an argument...
>
> We now hide anything that is important or valuable, and we are lucky to
> have the storage space for these circumstances.
> I like to limit the number of these events to once or twice a month, and
> use the space regularly for smaller events.
>
> Ashley
>
> Foundery
> ash...@foundery.is
> www.foundery.is
>
> Creative Blueprint
> www.creativeblueprint.ca
>

> On Oct 26, 2012, at 10:33 PM, Stefanos wrote:
>
> Would love to hear about some of the awesome events held at your coworking
> spaces and any horror stories (halloween pun intended) from past events.

>  --

twb
member, Workantile <http://workantile.com/>
@twbrandt