I shared this in coworkingweekly.com's newsletter yesterday and got some really
incredible replies, so I thought that it might be appreciated here.

For all of the energy and money spent on furniture, equipment, and services,
this story highlighted for me (and for many others) the value of accessibility
in an entirely new way.

====

I had a conversation this week with one of Indy Hall’s newest members. He came
for the first time on Monday, returned on Wednesday for Indy Hall Night Owls,
and returned again last night to give a talk to one of our technology meetups.

His name is Austin.

Its been a while since I’ve seen somebody throw themselves headfirst into Indy
Hall as quickly as Austin has.

He asked questions about our story, our history, and how the whole thing works.
He was told me how excited he was to be a part of it.

I’d just met him, but I recognized the way he was smiling. I see it every time
somebody really experiences Indy Hall, when they realize that it’s more than
just a colorful, unusual, and inspiring place to work.

Then I realized the way he was smiling was special…

Austin is blind. He doesn’t get to “see” Indy Hall the way everyone else does,
but is in no way at a disadvantage for experiencing Indy Hall. He may not get
to enjoy the artwork, bright lights, and high ceilings the same way other
members do. But those aren’t the features, they’re artifacts of the most
important feature: the people who’ve chosen to call this place home.

In a way, his blindness gave him a powerful shortcut to see Indy Hall for what
it really is. The community.

What will a blind person “see” when they encounter your coworking space?

You should read Austin’s post about his visit to Indy Hall.

====

If you liked this and want to share it, I've posted it to my blog as well:
http://dangerouslyawesome.com/2013/01/an-unusual-advantage/

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia