Old thread I know..., but now that is active again I though to add my two
cents. We've worked hard on this for the last months so maybe someone can
get some ideas for their own solution. I cofounded (no hyphen) Nexudus and
we offer a software to help coworking spaces to automate many of their
day-to-day tasks and processes and help their communities know more about
each other :)

We took an approach similar to what Paul mentioned about membership
tracking and regular payments. Many payment gateways have the concept of
recurring payments but these are implemented differently and have different
limitations. For example, some providers will let you change the amount of
the transaction every month, whilst other won't, forcing you to create a
new subscription in their systems. We wanted to have a unified way of
solving this problem, regardless of which payment provider you use. In
addition to this, we find that many coworking spaces not only charge
members at the end of the month (or whatever renewal period each member
has) but also they may need to do ad-hoc charges in the middle of a
subscription which they may want to invoice and charge before the
subscription is due. This means we needed a way of being in control of how
often and how much each member is charged, ignoring all the idiosyncrasies
of each payment gateway.

To do this we use a bit of a *man-in-the-middle* approach. When you add a
payment provider to Nexudus Spaces we are effectively creating an
intermediate store for the payment details of that member. This store is
controlled by us so we can instruct it to make a charge at any point and
for any amount, but also is able to pass that instruction to any of the 40+
payment providers we integrate with. So effectively once you have the card
details of a member, you can issue a charge for that member and process it
with any of the available payment providers. This can be handy in several
scenarios. For example, if you wanted to change payment provider at some
point, you won't have to ask members for their card details again, or you
could process payments through different providers for different members if
that saves you some fees. For spaces with multiple physical locations, you
may want to settle into different bank accounts depending on where the
expense was made but you don't want to have to store (and update) the card
details for each member in each of your payment gateway accounts. This
store acts as the unified payment details vault, able to use those details
with many payment providers. This store of course is regulated and
certified by a PCI authority (level 1).

This puts us in the decoupled position that Paul was referring to, we are
in control and able to automate many of the payments members need to make.
Once someone has entered they card details, Nexudus Spaces can raise
invoices automatically every time a membership is due for renewal and
process/pay them using the stored card details. Members get notified by
email with the invoice attached as a PDF. Only if there is an issue with a
payment (declined, expired, ...), you'll get notified, and the invoice will
be clearly flagged in your dashboard as not paid. It also puts you in
control of how you want your payments processed, you can choose to put long
term members in a cheaper payment processor, which will take a bit longer
to transfer the money into your account but they will charge less
transaction fees and put drop-in members in faster payment gateways, which
will send you the money quicker, but charge you a bit more for it. They
always win :)

In terms of knowing who has paid and who hasn't, this is something that is
present in many places in the software. The dashboard will give you a total
amount of due invoices updated in real-time, you have reports about due
invoices which will detail who and what is due to pay and members can be
automatically be reminded every so many days with a message which you can
customize, pointing them straight to where they update their payment
details.

Adrian