This is generally a mistake in an otherwise confused billing
department...unless they paid with a check, in which case it's still a
little bit weird.

In the case of collecting money electronically, your payment processor
(Paypal, Stripe, Auth.net, etc) will issue the 1099 that you need to file.
For checks, I *believe* there's a certain amount that they need to hit
before you're responsible for a 1099 with them, but double check with your
accountant on that.

Related links for the payment processing part:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1099k.pdf
http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/New-1099-K-Reporting-Requirements-for-Payment-Settlement-Entities
http://www.irs.gov/Tax-Professionals/Third-Party-Reporting-Information-Center

/ah