Tons.
Brokers tend to know more about motivations of landlords, standard deal terms,
or what creative term you could negotiate.

Brokers also look out for details in the lease that are not favorable, vs a
lawyer who tends to focus on the legal side and not business side.

Brokers research availabilities then short list them for you unless you like to
do that all yourselves.

Brokers also tend to already have relationships with the other broker,
landlord, or other parties involved so you can understand more the issues at
hand. This includes seeking opportunities that aren't even listed yet.

I've copied my two brokers for them to chime in or for anyone to ask them
questions. I've worked with them for 5 years and they intimately know what
Coworking space operators need.

Jerome
www.BLANKSPACES.com

> On Jul 30, 2014, at 2:23 PM, Alex Hillman <dangerouslyawes...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> What value do you guys get from working with rental brokers? That's never
> made sense to me.
>
> -Alex
>

> --
>
> /ah
> indyhall.org
> coworking in philadelphia
>

>> On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 5:18 PM, Jerome Chang <jer...@blankspaces.com> wrote:
>> Lease negotiation for me is the worst part of setting up a Coworking space.
>> Hang in there. My first lease was the only one in under 6 months although
>> renewing it later took 18 months. I use a broker, a lawyer, a therapist...
>> :-P
>>

>> Jerome
>> www.BLANKSPACES.com
>>
>>> On Jul 30, 2014, at 2:11 PM, Susan Dorsch <su...@officenomads.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd echo Alex on this one for sure. When we were first getting started with
>>> Office Nomads, we had been in negotiations with a landlord who seemed eager
>>> to work with us at first, but the more we learned the more we realized they
>>> wanted to control everything about how we were using the space (asking us
>>> to ensure there was no one on site after 8pm was my favorite one...um, no).
>>> Walking away turned out to be the best decision we could have made!
>>>
>>> Sounds like you did your homework, caught the changes, and walked away when
>>> you should have. Nicely done! Knowing when to say no is one of the most
>>> important elements of any project.
>>>
>>> Best of luck finding a landlord who is willing to work with you - I promise
>>> they're out there!
>>>
>>> Susan
>>>
>>> __
>>> Office Nomads