We have the basic Vika Amon tables from Ikea arraigned in pods of 4-8
desks.  In larger areas we have the larger ones arranged like one big
table.  Key is flexibility and the pods are spread out so that you are
always around people, but you can change the noise/heat/activity level by
switching pods.

We've also made a few of these standing desks by extending the legs with
black PVC pipe.... design requires a wall though as they are not very
stable w/o it.

We have 10K sqft and  something like 125 desks.  I'm happy with them
although we had to create a piece in the center of the pod to keep them
relatively straight.  Keeping wires tidy is an ongoing battle.