Ruckus APs are worth every penny but there is a great alternative that's a
little cheaper and much easier to setup.

You still need a separate router as Alex described but the thing that makes the
biggest difference to WiFi is more access points. They just need to be
intelligent enough to regulate their signal strength and work together rather
than against each other.

We use 5 Unifi UAP Pro's for a similar size space to yours but depending on the
layout 3 would probably be plenty. You can get a three pack of them for less
than $1000. They work best with a computer permanently set up as a controller
either on your local network or remotely but they're not dependent on it. The
software is significantly easier to use than most domestic router software I've
used.

I was able to set them up within 15 minutes of unboxing them and they
completely transformed the WiFi. It went from a running joke to one issue in
six months. That one issue required nothing more than turning the APs off and
on again.

Your Internet connection and/or router will become the bottleneck with these
APs. We'd already switched to a leased line and a high spec router by the time
we got them so we knew it was the APs causing problems. Now we don't have to
really think about the Internet connection, everything else gets more time. We
see around 100 devices per day and I'm confident that we could go well above
200 with this set up.

I'm feeling pretty lucky that they work as well as they do given the price
difference. Has anyone had a contrasting experience with Unifi kit?

Jon

—
Jonathan Markwell

Follow my adventures in space, time and code: http://jot.is/sustainablyindy