We raised rates in year 3.  By far the most common reaction was "It's about
time!"

I do think that *preparation is key* to price raising.  I think you have to
warn people in advance, because I am not that jerk who sent you a surprise
bill you now have to scramble to cover.  I told the coworkers exactly why
we were raising prices, why we were doing it now, and I gave them the
numbers.  I also think that profitability is an important aspect of
sustainability, and I spoke about it in those terms.

For me it was also important to *offer to either release people from their
contracts* or to hold at the current price to the end of the contract, even
if under the contract you can raise the rate.  For several people, I let
them extend their contract at the old rate for a longer term (from 1 month
to one year); this made them happy and got me an influx of cash which I did
need at the time.  But as a matter of principle, I don't want anybody
staying here because they have to, it isn't what I am about.

In our case we only raised prices on two of our memberships: on those we
were really only breaking even over the previous year.  Breaking even =
this is a hobby, not a business.  And I have other hobbies.

Indeed, as Alex says, many people took this moment to upgrade; nobody
downgraded.  But the price increase narrowed the gap between two of our
plans, and a number of people decided for that small price difference they
would go with the extra options.

We did lose some members.  But the ones we lost were always marginal, in
terms of their relationship with the space.  It cleared out the memebrs who
were not fully engaged and made room for more who were.

I mean, not everybody is onboard with radical transparency, I do understand
that.  But it has worked for me.

Cheers,

Jeannine