Hi Everyone,

First of all I would like to introduce myself to the community. My name is
Tabari and I am a chaplain/entrepreneur. I recently moved to Bakersfield
CA. When I relocated to Bakersfield, I searched for an entrepreneur
community in an effort to find support and to learn from others, but I did
not know where to find it so I decided to start one.

It all started when I began hosting Meetup groups that targeted
entrepreneurs in the community. After hosting several meetups I found that
having a consistent space to meet was a problem.  I am originally from
Fresno, CA and I remember that there was this creative space that opened up
called Fresno Hashtag.

I reached out to the space owner in Fresno and began dialogue about how to
go about creating a coworking space in Bakersfield and thus began my
journey down this rabbit hole of coworking. Since then it has become a
passion that consumes me so I began conducting online research and inquired
if Bakersfield had any established coworking spaces. The closest thing I
found were virtual offices. Upon visiting one of these spaces I saw it
consisted of only four desks. It did not quite have the community aspect
that supported the values of the coworking community.  I extended my search
to postings in Bakersfield on reddit.com in an effort to see if there was
interest for this type of coworking space I wish to create. To my surprise
there were two software developers, who are well connected in the software
development community, that expressed an interest in a coworking space in
my local area. These two individuals are ready to move into a space and
have served as my unofficial partners.

The relationships I’ve established in my journey thus far pressed my
curiosity to search deeper for other interested individuals or small
businesses. This lead to me to research on Indeed.com and look for
individuals in my local area who have coworking experiences listed on their
resumes. I was able to connect with two individuals one of which is a
community manager of an established coworking space and the other actually
runs a coworking space. My relationship with these individuals developed
into one where they serve in either an advisory or consultant role to help
me with the operations plan of the coworking space being created in
Bakersfield.

In trying to understand my local market I reached out a local group of
young professionals.  This particular group focuses on building up the
downtown area of Bakersfield with the intentions of making it more relevant
to young professionals. Through this group I was able to connect with a
real estate developer, who was highly interested in the downtown area. We
currently have a partnership relationship with this developer where he
assists with the tenant improvements of the space.

Since the idea of a coworking space became implanted in my mind, I decided
to visit several coworking spaces in neighboring cities and talked with
current space owners. I also read Ramón’s book on coworking and other
business plan books that specifically targeted coworking. The structure in
the creation and development for this coworking space are the same
methodologies found in the lean startup.

As with any topic that peaks my interest, I have been scouring the
Internet, searching for specific terms on the google coworking forum and
connecting with other people with similar interests or those who are
seasoned in my field of interest. We are currently building up our
community before we even open up the space. We have been holding regular
jellies and I am using creative ways to reach out to the freelance and
entrepreneur community. At this point we are looking to get a significant
number of pre-sales before we open our space. I am also working with a
local small business development center to help me with the business plan.

With regards to the business plan, I want to explore how to structure the
business so that possible investors can own shares. I am not sure if other
spaces have tried this, but I would be curious on your thoughts and ideas.
I am also curious about your thoughts on corporate sponsorships, and the
use of the classroom in your coworking spaces.

I apologize for this long post. I just thought it was time to reach out to
the community to get some support and feedback as I have greatly benefited
from your posts and comments thus far.

Tabari Brannon
Bakersfield Coworking
howdy(at)bakersfieldcoworking.com