I *love* this question - it's one that's come up a lot in our community
over the years. Almost exclusively related to dogs...not pets in general.

We do have an office pet, a turtle named Timmy that I've actually had since
I was 4. After nearly 30 years of being around people, Timmy might be the
only turtle who actually comes over to the glass when people walk up to the
tank, as if to say hi.

BUT! Back to more "normal" pets, three things we always remind people of
are that:

1 - even friendly well behaved pets can trigger people's allergies
2 - if you end up having more than one pet in the space, you never know how
they're going to act towards each other
3 - one person's "friendly" pet is another person's annoying pet. If I'm
trying to work while a dog wants to be pet, it's a distraction

We've been flexible on any hard rules, and obviously the pets aren't
malicious, but almost every time we have pets in the space on a regular
basis we've had issues. Things get broken. Something gets peed on. Members
get annoyed by a random lick of the hand while they were trying to get work
done.

So all of this is to say that the answer is as much dependent on the
non-pet-owners as it is on the pets and their owners. About once a year a
member brings it up to the community and the conversation goes about the
same way...and the overall preference (even among people who LIKE the pets)
is that we don't have them here all the time.

So we tell our members that if you want to bring your well behaved pet in
for a visit, that's fine, but it's not good for them to be in the space all
day and no matter what they need to be by your side (no roaming).

-Alex

*The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.*
Join the list: http://coworkingweekly.com
Listen to the podcast: http://dangerouslyawesome.com/podcast