We have some beautiful 60-year old pressed tin ceilings and almost 80 yr
old wood floors. We love them, but our space was basically an echo chamber
when we moved in.

   - Angel's comments about area rugs and soft furniture and some canvas
   art on the walls is right on.
   - We've used Homasote for a couple of bulletin boards, too. We painted
   it and have not had much chipping, but we only cut and spread out 2 4x8
   slabs, so we might not have had enough to notice the chipping yet.
   - The links people provided to the acoustic foam are helpful. I avoided
   them for awhile because I could not find them that cheap. Instead I used
   some carpet tiles....
   - Carpet tiles: Cheap

<http://www.homedepot.com/b/Flooring-Carpet-Carpet-Tile-Carpet-Tile/N-5yc1vZbo4w>!
 We
   used them for our phone rooms to cover drywall. A great trick that our
   carpenter discovered is to use a staple gun around the perimeter of each
   tile to staple to the drywall. Ignorant of such things, I had originally
   thought that we would have to use some noxious chemical to attach them to
   the drywall. We left the corners exposed to add acoustic foam when we found
   some on the cheap, but the sound improved so much that we have never done
   it.