Co-opetition.  Embrace it.
All our so-called competitive companies in our space have grown due, in part,
to getting over the fear of competition and embracing the impactful strategy of
co-opetition.
If coworking was just about providing a desk or private office for that one
company to do it’s own thing, then this scenario would be an issue.  But
coworking is about trust, openness, sharing, collaboration, selflessness, etc.
In that environment EVERYONE is safe as well as empowered, inspired and cheered
on by what would be called in other places, competition.
The idea of coworking with those in your industry has also honed all our
companies to do what they do best.  We talk to our so-called competitors and
always find something that they do amazing, that we do mediocre. Now we have a
partner.

Feeling threatened is different than feeling afraid.  When ever I hear someone
talk about an industry being “cut-throat” I sigh and say, "so what!”  The
question back to the owner is, “is that your MO?”  If it isn’t, than carry on
and consider how this new company could help you and you, them.  If a
competitive company does better than you in the exact same market and location,
that’s your problem, not there’s.  There’s plenty of work out there.  Hustle
for it, but don’t spend too much time guarding, spying and feeling threatened.

This principle is part of our initial tour discussion.  We not only talk about
it, we celebrate it!  Once it’s part of your ethos, your future members will
not be afraid of competitive companies, rather will be the first one to shake
take their hand and buy them a coffee.

Peace,

Chad Ballantyne
705.812.0689
c...@thecreativespace.ca

Barrie's Coworking Community
Perfect for small businesses, startups and entrepreneurs.
12 Dunlop St E, Barrie Ontario, L4M 1A3
Memberships start at $25/mth
www.thecreativespace.ca <http://www.thecreativespace.ca/>
705-812-0689 <tel:705-812-0689>