Thanks Alex!

Glen and I listened to the podcast this morning. It was great to hear
examples the Slack channels Indy Hall has and how Slack is introduced to
members.  Also good to be reminded that establishing an online community
using Slack (or any tool for that matter) has to be something that comes
from members.  We've tried the "hey - we have this thing called Slack and
here's what it's for and here's some channels - you should use them"
approach. You're right. It doesn't work.

I also liked the "invitation, not announcement" reminder. We've had a hard
time figuring out how to get things to come from members and I'd like to
run something by you (and others in this group). Members bring us ideas,
but rarely seem to have the energy to go beyond generating the idea and
sharing it with us (even when we offer support in making them happen).

Here's what has worked, to some extent. Glen and I have started things we
want - not as the people who "run"/"own" Cowork Frederick, but just as
people who want to do something. One example is our Local Lunch outings on
Thursdays. We want to go out to eat lunch and we want people to join us, so
we do it. We put it on the calendar and ask around to see who wants to join
and then, with them, decide on a place to go. We go out to lunch every week
and now, occasionally before I get to it, a member comes in and asks,
"where are we going to lunch today?".

If I apply this to Slack, I would create a channel for daily goals because
I really like that idea and I would start using it and would see if others
would join in. I would do this rather than announcing the channel and
telling everyone to use it. It would the equivalent of "I'm going to lunch,
anyone want to join me?".  "I'm going to post my goals and report back.
Feel free to check in and hold me accountable."  Then I'd see if others
start doing the same. Regardless of whether they do, I would continue to
post my goals as long as it makes sense to me.  In doing so, I'm not
expecting anyone to do anything. I'm just putting myself out there and,
hopefully, setting an example that says to others that they can too of they
want.

Thoughts?