> However with this project we are starting with a little cash from the off
> so are just trying to plan it to be as perfect as possible. Obviously we
> have our experience and knowledge that helps from the previous set up, but
> well worth reminding myself of this advice you just gave.

I feel this - our first two locations (and expansions within them) were
always naturally constrained in some way (budget, pre-built spaces, etc).
When we moved ~18 months ago, it was the first time we got to step back and
design everything from scratch. The best part is that you can do anything!
But the worst part is...you have to figure *everything* out. And if you get
it wrong, you can't blame "well, that's the way it was."

At the same time, I've seen lots of places with more resources ($$$) than
we had make the mistake of approaching their design more focused on
first-impression than the lasting one.

So instead of making "perfect" the goal, we focused on choosing a few key
areas that we knew were painful in our previous spaces and improving on
them in some measurable way. But beyond that, we made a somewhat
counterintuitive decision to build everything else to be *slightly*
unfinished and imperfect.

I'm not talking about the shabby-chic aesthetic that seems popular...we
genuinely want the space to communicate to our members (current and
future): this is a work in progress. Your ideas and effort will make it
better.

As a result, within weeks after moving into our new space, we had lots of
members feeling a strong sense of connection to the space AND lots of
feedback about the environment "feeling like home" - directly attributing
the fact that it looked and felt more lived in.

So even when you have more resources, it's a really good idea to give
yourself some constraints (even if they're artificial) that encourage your
community to get involved and let the space evolve with them. :)

-Alex

*The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.*
Better Coworkers: http://indyhall.org
Weekly Coworking Tips: http://coworkingweekly.com
My Audiobook: https://theindyhallway.com/ten