Hi Michael,

YES! Lots of ways to integrate Slack (keeping this on the main thread as I
think it could be useful to others). Namely, by watching what *doesn't* work
- we've all been part of those FB and Slack groups that are
just...crickets. Or worse, they're overly promotional.

In order to avoid that, here's what I did:

(1) *Limit Channels: *This gives people direction and a "beautiful
constraint." When you have 600 channels you get decision fatigue. Limit
your channels (5-10 max)

(2) *Give your channels VERY OBVIOUS names*. If people dont know what the
channel is for, they won't use it. I have fun with naming but it's still
clear what its' for (like #treatyoself is a channel, that's where we talk
about self care)

(3) *Tag people*: Don't awkwardly ambush people, but if someone asks a
question about instagram and you know one of your members knows instagram,
tag them in the thread like this, "@jon do you know anything about this?"
or "@jon might be able to help, he's way better than me at instagram" <---
You want to be careful not to obligate them, just engage them.

(4) *Set Rules for Engagement: *You dont have to state them explicitly, but
you do have to enforce them publically. For example, if you post "Hey guys!
I just published this would be great if you shared!" I will shame you bc
that is a terrible and self-serving post. You have to lead by example and
teach people how you want them to engage AND show them it's safe to be
real. The example above is when your communication is transactional and not
real.

(5) *Moderate: *I will comment directly on threads and say, "Give us
context, WHY do you want us to read this?" My tribe feels protected, like
someone is looking out for them. Because I am. I want the conversation to
have depth. There's a place to recommend your stuff but we have a thread
for that. So you need to moderate until people understand what the rules
are for engagement.

(6) *Most activity happens in the DMs*. At least, that's been our
experience, which is *great* news. It's annoying bc sometimes main channels
can be quiet and you freak out that no one is getting value - but slack
will send you activity data each week so you'll see if people are DMing
(it's great news because that means your members are connecting!)

Curious to know what others have done that's worked.

- Margo