I really think that replacing the door with a glass/ part glass alternative
would be far more cost-effective than building in a sidelight.

The labour component for replacing doors should be far less than moving
electrical and installing a sidelight, and the materials in both scenarios
would be aprox the same.

Caveat: I have worked in construction for 7 years then DIY'ed my coworking
space for the next 7, but my experience is from Sydney Australia, and I
know that North America has some different approaches to building.

Carl, Your Desk