"Ken Williams" <kena...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 3:03 PM, Slaven Rezic <sla...@rezic.de> wrote:
>> I was just surprised to find version.pm installed at two
>> locations (arch-dependent and arch-independent), but this seems to be
>> unrelated to the changes in 0.30_01.
>
> That sounds weird - do you mean the actual version.pm, or
> M::B::Version.pm ?  M::B doesn't install the former.

I mean version.pm. In version.pm's Build.PL the function
have_c_compiler() is used to decide whether the version.pm's XS part
should be built and installed or not. Unfortunately have_c_compiler()
does not only check if a C compiler is available, it also checks if
ExtUtils::CBuilder is already installed. My assumption is that in the
smoker run version.pm was installed twice, first time without
ExtUtils::CBuilder available (and hence installed into the
arch-independent location) and the 2nd time with ExtUtils::CBuilder
installed in the meantime.

It makes me somewhat nervous to know that modules gets installed at
different locations (site vs. core, or arch-dependent vs.
arch-independent). One never knows which location will "win".

Regards,
    Slaven

--
Slaven Rezic - slaven <at> rezic <dot> de

    tkrevdiff - graphical display of diffs between revisions (RCS, CVS or SVN)
    http://ptktools.sourceforge.net/#tkrevdiff