On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 11:50 AM, M W487 <mw487.yahoo....@gmail.com> wrote:
> but I see nothing about PORT.

You probably want to see the section on "Transport Options":

***
Transport options

The Test::Reporter 1.39_XX development series added support for
multiple transport modules, e.g.
Test::Reporter::Transport::Net::SMTP::TLS or
Test::Reporter::Transport::HTTPGateway. To use them with
CPAN::Reporter, set the 'transport' config option to the name of the
transport module (without the 'Test::Reporter::Transport' prefix) and
any required arguments, separated by white space. For example:

   transport=Net::SMTP::TLS User j...@example.com Password 12345
   transport=HTTPGateway http://example.com/cpantesters.cgi MyKey
   transport=File ~/saved-reports-dir

The transport module may be any Test::Reporter::Transport installed on
your system. As of Test::Reporter 1.39_05, transports included
'Net::SMTP', 'Net::SMTP::TLS', 'Mail::Send', 'HTTPGateway' and 'File'.

***

It's not well documented in Net::SMTP, but I suspect you can pass a
"Port" option like so:

  transport=Net::SMTP Port 587

On the other hand, that's usually a port that requires authentication
and you can't authenticate against the perl.org mail servers.  You'll
need to relay through some other external mail server that you have
permission for.  In that case, you'd want to do this:

   transport=Net::SMTP::TLS User j...@example.com Password 12345 Port 587

Or -- you might be able to use Verizon's outbound mail servers as a
smart gateway with smtp_server, if they don't cut you off due to high
mail volume.  That's what I do with my ISP, Speakeasy, as they don't
care if I'm sending thousands of emails a day.

-- David