Ok. I upgraded to the development version and ran two smokers overnight.
Neither smoker froze up like they did before: the one that had
command_timeout 1000 was still running, the one that didn't have
command_timeout had frozen, but at least it responded to Ctrl-C, and it
managed to run for about five hours before freezing up (contrast with five
minutes). I'll upgrade all of my smokers and set command_timeout.

Thanks! It's nice when I can report an issue and the developer releases a
version fixing that problem the very next day ;)

--Dan