hi,

i recently uploaded File::Slurp 9999.14 and was sent some failure
reports. i had tested it (or others for me) on a reasonably wide range
of platforms with no failures. the report noted netbsd and perl 5.12.3
rcs but also linux and perl 5.10.1. i installed 5.10.1 and it passed my
linux. only when one of the testers who failed told me it was running
under root did i get a clue. he was upgrading all his netbsd boxes so
that is why he ran under root.

the test was forcing rename to fail by creating a dir and a file in it
then making the dir a-x and calling rename. this works fine as a regular
user. but of course as root, permissions be damned and it works (which
makes the test not report any ok() value). i rewrote the test to use a
core call override (which is how i force sysread/syswrite to fail in the
same test script and now it fails properly for rename under root.

so my request is you mark the user/root value in the test matrix. then
it would have been easy to see the root failures but the successes as a
regular user. an odd request but you can see why it mattered here. now
it is moot as i did it a different way.

thanx,

uri

--