Agreed. That is one disadvantage. But I had more problems without
install=>1 such as this:

It seems like a Module::Build issue, but not confirmed. I can still
test declaration of dependencies by temporarily hiding the smoker's
local::lib on a module-by-module basis, if needed. It's not a perfect
setup (I can't make it work with perlbrew), but it's smoother so far.