On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Marvin Humphrey
<mar...@rectangular.com> wrote:
> Does PAUSE ever forget about a file entirely?  This implies not:
>
>    http://pause.perl.org/pause/query?ACTION=pause_04about#upload
>
>    For security reasons you will never be able to upload a file with
>    identical name again.

You can't upload the same *tarball*, but that's not what I suggested.

> I really wish that versions and dependencies were expressed at the distro
> level rather than the module/package level.  Allowing multiple version numbers
> within an atomic unit of installation doesn't make sense.

I agree.  Now all we need is a DeLorean, a flux capacitor and 1.21 gigawatts.

> I agree that the best way to handle things to derive a single version number
> which is at least `max(@versions) + $n` and use that for all modules.  It
> might look a little weird, but oh well -- it's justified from an engineering
> standpoint.  At least unifying the version numbers produces a sane outcome,
> albeit at the expense of violating DRY.

I outline the concept of a well-formed distribution here:
http://www.dagolden.com/index.php/308/packages-modules-and-distributions/

I would go further and say that I recommend that whenever possible,
all modules in a distribution should have the same version number, to
avoid the sort of distro/module version sync problems that people have
experienced.

-- David