Recently a smoker sent me a report about a failure which turned out to be
the result the smoker using a dependent package installed that wasn't
passing its tests. Potentially then this smoker not only was my marking my
package as failing, but potentially other packages that are dependent on
the failing package.

When a smoker gives erroneous failures, how is this handled? Are there
statistics kept on erroneous smokers so one might be able rate the smokers?

Many times when I get a failure report and I can't reproduce the problem, I
also don't get any response from the contact person at the end of the
smoker. Given this, it becomes more important to smoke the smokers.