Hey there,

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 10:10 AM, Alceu Rodrigues de Freitas Junior
<glasswal...@yahoo.com.br> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post such question so I
> apologize for any inconvenience in advance.
>
> I created a Windows XP SP3 VM in Virtual Box to execute smoke tests using
> CPAN-Tester-Smoker. The box is running Strawberry Perl 5.14.2 with
> multithread support.

Did you mean "CPAN::Reporter::Smoker" ?

> Every time that I start the program, it became "hanging" while executing the
> following test:
>
> Running make test
>   Delayed until after prerequisites
> Running test for module 'IPC::Pipeline'
> Running make for C/CP/CPANEL/IPC-Pipeline-0.6.tar.gz
> Checksum for
> C:\strawberry\cpan\sources\authors\id\C\CP\CPANEL\IPC-Pipeline-0.6.
> tar.gz ok
>
>   CPAN.pm: Building C/CP/CPANEL/IPC-Pipeline-0.6.tar.gz
>
> Checking if your kit is complete...
> Looks good
> Writing Makefile for IPC::Pipeline
> Writing MYMETA.yml and MYMETA.json
> (C:\strawberry\perl\bin\perl.exe Makefile.PL exited with 0)
> CPAN::Reporter: Makefile.PL result is 'pass', No errors.
> cp lib/IPC/Pipeline.pm blib\lib\IPC\Pipeline.pm
> (C:\strawberry\c\bin\dmake.EXE exited with 0)
> CPAN::Reporter: dmake result is 'pass', No errors.
>   CPANEL/IPC-Pipeline-0.6.tar.gz
>   C:\strawberry\c\bin\dmake.EXE -- OK
> Running make test
> C:\strawberry\perl\bin\perl.exe "-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "-e"
> "test_harness(0,
> 'blib\lib', 'blib\arch')" t/*.t
>
> This happening during the phase to test the Archive-Tar-Builder-0.5
> distribution.
>
> Do you any idea of what could be happening? I need use CRTL+C to stop the
> process. I double checked the Task Manager and it shows four perl process,
> none of them taking any processor time, like if they are blocked waiting for
> I/O or something else.

In the case of hangs, I usually find that process explorer
(procexp.exe) is able to give a stack trace with enough info to make
some kind of decent guess about where it is hanging.

> That happens after successfully testing a good amount of distributions, and
> always stops there.
>
> The only gotcha I had while installing Perl and configuring CPAN is that
> while installing CPAN-Reporter I could not submit a verification key (typed
> ENTER after entering the key, without any result). After some retries and
> reseting the configuration it just worked, without any reason to explain.
>
> Might be something related to the Windows XP console? Or is it a issue with
> the distribution? How to deal with those cases (release the Smoker to
> continue testing other distributions)?

http://search.cpan.org/~dagolden/CPAN-Reporter-Smoker-0.24/lib/CPAN/Reporter/Smoker.pm
mentions something about a "command_timeout" option , to terminate
hanging tests ... do you have this option set?

P.S. I have never run a smoker, so I am only guessing :)