In Net::OpenSSH there is a test that will ask for a password. As I've just
learned it will time-out after 15 sec, but I think it would be still better
to ask the user if they want to run such tests and only run the tests if
they have agreed.

The question how to do that.

Using EUMM:

If I am not mistaken one should use prompt() in Makefile.PL to ask the user

my $test_pw = prompt("Shall I test with password? [y|N]", 'n');

This will default to 'n' if this is an unattended test or if
PERL_MM_USE_DEFAULT was set to true.

What I have not figured out yet is:
How to pass this information to the tests?
How to set an environment variable in Makefile.PL that will be seen during
the "make test" phase?

Or is there some other, recommended way to accomplish this?

regards
   Gabor