James E Keenan <jk...@verizon.net> writes:

> Is it still the case that one can only submit reports to cpantesters
> if one is running a mail server on the machine running the smoker?

No. The default Metabase setup requires just a working network
connection via HTTPS/SSL (*). Looking at the error below it seems that
LWP::Protocol::https does not work at all on your system. Maybe a
certificate issue? Or incompatible SSL modules installed on your system?
Can you check if something like

    lwp-request -mHEAD https://www.google.com

works?

> I've read recently complaints that because most people submitting
> reports are using cpanm-reporter, the reports being received have been
> limited in variety.  I also know that while Linux and some BSDs are
> well represented in the reports, Darwin is surprisingly poorly
> represented. (See, for example,
> http://matrix.cpantesters.org/?dist=File-Path, where as of this
> writing there are 0 reports from Darwin.)

ETHER actually submitted a couple of reports last night.

[...]

Regards,
    Slaven

(*) It's also possible to create a minimal setup using just a file
system for storing the reports, and submitting the reports from a
different system which has a full Metabase client setup.

--
Slaven Rezic - slaven <at> rezic <dot> de
  BBBike - route planner for cyclists in Berlin