Alceu Rodrigues de Freitas Junior <glasswal...@yahoo.com.br> writes:

> Hi Slaven,
>
> Thanks for all the comments. I made myself some below:
>
> Em 21/01/2018 19:18, Slaven Rezic escreveu:
>> Alceu Rodrigues de Freitas Junior via cpan-testers-discuss
>> <cpan-testers-discuss@perl.org> writes:

[...]
>> I guess that some of us indeed have watchdogs. A simple one is to setup
>> a CPU limit (my smokers use one hour). If you're lucky and the
>> misbehaving distribution has a busy endless loop, then the test will be
>> automatically killed after an hour and a proper fail report is sent out.
>> It's even quiet easy to recognize this, like in this report:
>> http://www.cpantesters.org/cpan/report/3556e864-4490-11e7-a21f-d75903976bbd
>> Typically, in such reports CPU usage is somewhat larger than 3600s, and
>> exit code of one of the tests is 9 (SIGKILL).
>
> I'm wondering how you implemented that... for Linux there is ulimits
> and cgroups, but I don't know how to do the same with OpenBSD.

FreeBSD has the limits command, and maybe OpenBSD has it, too. A quick
test on a FreeBSD 11 system with zsh:

    $ time limits -t 3 perl -e 'while () {}'
    [2]    99733 killed     limits -t 3 perl -e 'while () {}'
    limits -t 3 perl -e 'while () {}'  3.96s user 0.01s system 99% cpu 4.006
total

Another approach is to use BSD::Resource.

>> However, the just hanging ones without eating CPU need a real watchdog.
>> I have an unpublished script which looks for inactivity on the tty. If
>> there's no output for 200s, then the watchdog notices the process id and
>> possible distribution name+version, but does not do anything. Only if
>> the distribution is in a list of known problematic
>> distributions+versions, then the watchdog actually kills the test
>> script. This watchdog is not really ready for the public (data & code
>> live in the same file, and there's only support for linux, freebsd, and
>> windows), but if somebody is interested, I can share.
>
> If I may, I would suggest you to release it on Github as is and see
> what comes around.

I'll do minimal polishing of the script and will make it available.

[...]

>>> 3. We don't have any simple way to contact the distribution author to
>>>     let him/her know their respective distribution is blocked for some
>>>     reason.
>>
>> This can go the normal way: write a bug report. I made a habbit to note
>> the ticket number in the files I used for blocks or automatic kills.
>> This way I can also see if a distribution is lacking a bug report ---
>> sometimes the problems are many and time is sparse, and I don't write
>> immediately for every noticed problem a bug report.
>
> Well, I guess time is not on my side in this one.
> But it just occurred to me that the same test report could be created
> and sent to the author in the case his/her distro was blocked for some
> reason. That should give enough information for the author fix
> anything on that matter.

A special kind of NA or UNKNOWN report?

[...]

>>> For that, I reviewed the distroprefs specification (from the CPAN
>>> module POD) and there aren't fields that I think would be required to
>>> include into the YAML:
>>>
>>>   * The OS name and version
>
> I meant to provide the information from where the distroprefs were
> created, so it could help the distro author. The same thing that the
> test reports already does, basically.

This is not applicable for my setup --- I create distroprefs files
typically after looking at a lot of reports from different operating
systems and perl versions.

[...]

> Regards,
>
> Alceu

Regards,
    Slaven

--
Slaven Rezic - slaven <at> rezic <dot> de
  BBBike - route planner for cyclists in Berlin
  WWW version:                           http://www.bbbike.de
  Perl/Tk version for Unix and Windows:  http://bbbike.sourceforge.net
  • sharing distrop... Alceu Rodrigues de Freitas Junior via cpan-testers-discuss
    • Re: sharin... Slaven Rezic
      • Re: sh... Karen Etheridge
        • Re... Alceu Rodrigues de Freitas Junior via cpan-testers-discuss
      • Re: sh... Andreas Koenig
        • Re... Karen Etheridge
        • Re... Alceu Rodrigues de Freitas Junior via cpan-testers-discuss
        • Re... Slaven Rezic
      • Re: sh... Alceu Rodrigues de Freitas Junior via cpan-testers-discuss
        • Re... Slaven Rezic
        • Re... Kent Fredric
        • Re... Slaven Rezic