On Wed, 8 May 2024 12:40:24 +1000
Tony Cook <t...@develop-help.com> wrote:

> It's possible his VM is using the BusyBox tar (the default on Alpine)
> instead of GNU tar which may make a difference.

I'd say that's very likely the problem.

Having the Archive::Tar::Wrapper tests output a bit of diagnostic info
at the start of a test run would probably help, so you can see what tar
it's running against and have a chance of reproducing it yourself.

In fact, it already sort-of does, but using `note()` which you won't
see in the test output if running via a test harness, rather than
`diag()` which you will see - flipping to diag() would help:
https://github.com/glasswalk3r/archive-tar-wrapper-perl/pull/26

`_acquire_tar_info` already runs `tar --version` to find out what
version it is (which is what's output above)...

From a quick Google, it looks like some busybox tar versions will return
something useful, e.g. `tar (busybox) 1.28.4`

On an old Unifi device I just tried it on, though, I get an error with
exit code 1:

  Workshop-BZ.v4.3.28# tar --version
  tar: unrecognized option: version
  BusyBox v1.25.1 () multi-call binary.
  Workshop-BZ.v4.3.28# echo $?
  1

If you get a release out with the test showing the diagnostic output,
you'll at least know exactly what it's running against and have a
fighting chance of reproducing it yourself, and seeing whether it's a
problem in the Archive::Tar::Wrapper code, or an oddity of that BusyBox
tar binary and just need to skip that test.

  • some permission... Alceu Rodrigues de Freitas Junior via cpan-testers-discuss
    • Re: some p... James E Keenan
      • Re: so... Alceu Rodrigues de Freitas Junior via cpan-testers-discuss
        • Re... Tony Cook
          • ... David Precious
            • ... Nigel Horne
              • ... Alceu Rodrigues de Freitas Junior via cpan-testers-discuss
                • ... Alceu Rodrigues de Freitas Junior via cpan-testers-discuss
                • ... David Cantrell