On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 08:21:30AM -0400, Hans Dieter Pearcey wrote:
> Excerpts from David Golden's message of Fri Oct 09 07:55:12 -0400 2009:
> > 30. Trove-Like Categories
> >
> > Proposal:
> >
> > Add Freshmeat.net or SourceForge-like trove categories with topics
> > programming languages, etc.  As opposed to keywords/labels/tags they are a
> > nested tree, and will also be limited to a given list. This will help in
> > being able to better browse CPAN instead of the old and heavily
> > under-maintained long modules list. For example "Programming Language ::
> > Lisp", "Intended Audience :: Emacs Users", "Operating System :: GNU",
> > "Topic :: Editors".
>
> "Move the modules list into META files".  No thanks.

The "Module List" (by which I mean the list of "registered" modules) is
effectvely dead. Only a very small proportion of modules are registered.

And yet the 'registered modules category' links, that form the bulk of the
http://search.cpan.org/ home page, have over 22,000 page views a month![1]

Those users are seeing a narrow and distored view of CPAN.  I think it's
important to fix this. So important that I'd be happy if those links
were simply removed today. They're doing more harm than good right now.

I don't have a strong opinion about Trove-Like Categories vs tags.
Either would need careful thought about the human aspects of their use,
from a lazy authors point of view. I'd also observe that categories
could be implemented as 'machine tags' ala flikr [2]

Tim.

[1] According to google-analytics: "Unique Pageviews" of /modlist/...
since Sept 8th.
[2] http://www.flickr.com/groups/api/discuss/72157594497877875/