It's been something of a long-standing (second-order) problem that
packages are just tarballs (or bzipball, or zips, etc).

The lack of a "standard" file extension means that we can't sanely
implement features like "double-click to install" on operating systems
and browsers with file extension association capability.

If we are looking at not only sharing user permissions between the two
languages, but also sharing the author directories directly, this
would seem like a highly opportune moment to switch to a new specific
extension for P6 distributions.

It would help the current indexer, because Andreas can just ignore
files with that extension, and it would make it trivial for the new
indexer to ignore Perl 5 and legacy files.

Adam K