Last month I sent this message to the perl5-porters mailing list. I got no replies. Does anyone on this list have thoughts on this?

#####
Two recently filed RT tickets ...

... led me to look for the source code for ExtUtils::Installed and ExtUtils::Packlist. They're part of the ExtUtils-Install distribution which is distributed with core.

In the core distro, ExtUtils-Install is found under 'cpan/', which suggests that it is *primarily* maintained on CPAN by one or more maintainers, and not maintained by P5P.

However, when I go to http://search.cpan.org/~bingos/ExtUtils-Install-1.68/, I see that this distro's bug tracker is listed as http://rt.perl.org/rt3/ and its repository is listed as http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/. In other words, it's maintained in core not on cpan/.

If so, then shouldn't ExtUtils-Install be under 'dist/' rather than 'cpan/' in the core distribution?

From pod/perlsource.pod:

dist: "This directory is for dual-life modules where the blead source is
canonical."

I'd like to clarify this before embarking on work on either of the two RTs cited above.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan