yeah, I am really not worried about the performance on this one, just noted
it for completeness.

What is nagging at me is what kentnl mentioned where something nested
catches an exception from something that failed to release it's context due
to the exception. Not because of these vars, but because it can cause other
problems, I need to look into it.