On 01/16/2017 12:06 PM, Todd Rinaldo wrote:
All,

Currently in blead is a change that will begin breaking many CPAN
installs. This is a result of a non-default change to perl builds which
removes . from @INC. There is currently a separate
proposal ( https://rt.perl.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=130467 )being
discussed to remove . from @INC by default in 5.26.

More information on the impact of this can also be found
here.
http://blogs.perl.org/users/todd_rinaldo/2016/11/how-removing-from-inc-is-about-to-break-cpan.html

As I understand things, this is the closest thing to a mailing list for
the toolchain group, so I'm trying this list first.

In order to action RT 130467 without completely breaking CPAN, I propose
the following patches to CPAN install related modules to fix the problem:

* Inject PERL_USE_UNSAFE_INC=1 into the environment early in the
following clients. This assures that everything spawned by these clients
gets . in @INC during test/install.
CPAN
CPANPLUS
App::cpanminus

* Inject PERL_USE_UNSAFE_INC=1 into TAP::Harness to support ad-hoc use
of prove. (Leon is already working on this)

* Inject PERL_USE_UNSAFE_INC=1 into install modules to try to address as
many Makefile.PL missing . in @INC issues as possible:
ExtUtils::MakeMaker
Module::Build
Module::Build::Tiny

What at this point I feel is lacking is agreement and/or discussion that
the above is the correct approach to solving this problem.

If you are not for this plan and/or you are a maintainer of one of the
above mentioned packages, your response would be appreciated. We're
running out of time to complete this in time for perl 5.26.

Thanks,
Todd Rinaldo