Cool! Sorry, I don't have the expertise to help with the boost.build aspect, but I did have some questions and comments regarding the feature.

Does this add a dependency of boost.python on numpy? We'd love to be able to continue use boost.python without a numpy dependency. We did a nontrivial amount of work to remove this dependency in USD (openusd.org, https://github.com/PixarAnimationStudios/USD), a C++ library that provides python bindings via boost.python, so adding it back would be a problem for us.

Instead of depending on numpy, we made our array structures implement the python buffer protocol. This lets clients that wish to use numpy do so easily, since numpy supports the buffer protocol, but it does not burden those that don't with the numpy dependency. We did this manually of course but supporting the buffer protocol would be a cool feature for boost.python.

Alex