Hi,

I spent most of yesterday trying to get the simple tutorials and example to
build from within the Boost example folders, and finally succeeded. It was not
super straightforward as the instructions seem incomplete and out of date. But
after finding a tutorial on Boost.Build and understanding how it works, I was
able to debug the build process and get the test scripts to run successfully.

Now I’d like to move to Spyder and run simple tests on the extension. However,
when I try to execute a simple “import hello_ext” statement, I get an error
trying to locate a dependent library. No amount of setting paths seem to help.

(I copied libboost_python37.dylib to /Users/andy before running this script.
I’m on Mac OS Mojave

Commands:

import os
print(os.environ['PATH'])
os.environ['PATH'] += ':/Users/andy'
os.environ['DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH'] = '/Users/andy'
print(os.environ['PATH'])
print(os.environ['DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH'])
import hello_ext

Output:

/Users/andy/anaconda3/bin:/Users/andy/anaconda3/condabin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
/Users/andy/anaconda3/bin:/Users/andy/anaconda3/condabin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/Users/andy
/Users/andy
Traceback (most recent call last):

File "", line 7, in
import hello_ext

ImportError: dlopen(/Users/andy/Dropbox
(Personal)/Developer/boost_1_70_0/libs/python/example/tutorial/hello_ext.so,
2): Library not loaded: libboost_python37.dylib
Referenced from: /Users/andy/Dropbox
(Personal)/Developer/boost_1_70_0/libs/python/example/tutorial/hello_ext.so
Reason: image not found
What magic is the boost environment performing to make this work? What can I do
to make my python extensions look for libboost_python37.dylib in the location
where it lives?

Thanks in advance for any help!

  *   Andy