While it is conceivable that someone could get worked up Bellesiles easily
refutable "research" to the point of issueing death threats, I think this
is a bogus ploy to demonize the gun culture.

If an academician writes a political advocacy book based on deeply flawed
research, then attempts to pass it off as a serious academic thesis, what
does he expect?   Of course he's going to get flamed.   About every
libertarian, conservative, and gun magazine wrote fairly in-depth
refutations of Bellesiles book, and every one I've read wrote unflattering
things about his intellectual integrity (not to mention his lack of
knowledge about firearms themselves).  His feeling must have gotten ruffled
by the fact that people outside his ivory tower don't play nice.

Ironically enough, I read that John R. Lott, Jr. received death threats for
writing his book "More Guns, Less Crime".  Given the poor behavior I've
seen and read about from the "Million Moms" and other anti-gun bigots like
Carl Rowan, I'm not surprised.