http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A23587-2001May14.html

Chewing Out on the Bush Beat

Speaking of Fleischer, the usually affable spokesman is not reluctant to
get tough with reporters when he believes they've stepped out of line.

Sheriff Fleischer was on duty Thursday and upset with Houston Chronicle
reporter Bennett Roth. Bush that morning urged parents to talk more to
their kids about the dangers of drugs.

Roth, at Fleischer's daily briefing, asked: "Ari, the president talked
about parental involvement today. How much has he talked to his own
daughters about both drugs and drinking? And given the fact that his own
daughter was cited for underage drinking, isn't that a sign that there's
only so much effect that a parent can have on their children's behavior?"

Fleischer responded brusquely: "No, I think, frankly, there are some issues
where I think it's very important for you all in the press corps to
recognize that he is the president of the United States; he's also a
father. And the press corps has been very respectful in the past of
treating family matters with privacy, and I'm certain that you're going to
do so again. I hope so."

Fleischer later called Roth to chastise him, telling him his question had
been "noted in the building."