Quoting ming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> If SSN were completely open and available to all, would that be a
> better scenerio? ie. If everyone could get anyone's social, would it have the
> same importance as an id#?

Sure, universal access could be better, but it still depends on how it's used.
I don't really see the database centralization problem getting any better for
it, though. Probably worse, actually. And the really sick thing is that anyone
with a little ingenuity and elbow grease can *already* dig up your SSN and damn
near anything they want if they have your name and a few meager details. Not
good, any way you look at it...

~Faustine.

****

'We live in a century in which obscurity protects better than the law--and
reassures more than innocence can.' Antoine Rivarol (1753-1801).