"I realize that this bill basically says you can tap someone's phone for
jaywalking, and normally I would say, 'No way,' " said Del. Dana Lee
Dembrow (D-Montgomery). "But after what happened on September 11th, I
say screw 'em."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A12099-2002Mar24.html

Just in case you didn't know how a totalitarian police-state coup grows,
more excerpts:

Given the potential for mass casualties, said Del. Robert A. Zirkin
(D-Baltimore County), the occasional intrusion into lives "seems worth
the risk."

"I know it's hard to swallow," Zirkin said. "But I think we need to take
a couple steps in that direction right now."

----
Reminds me of when a sociologist was interviewing a southern farmer:
Why do you think the murder rate is higher in the south?
I guess more southerners need killin'.